A hot tub is a great addition to any home, but you must make sure it fits in your outdoor space––otherwise, you may be in for a rude awakening. It’s important to get the sizing right so your new hot tub doesn’t overwhelm the backyard or look too small in its location. If you’re trying to figure out what size hot tub is best for your home and family, then read on!
Measure Your Outdoor Space
The first––and probably most important step––is to measure your outdoor space. If you have an existing deck or patio area where the hot tub will sit, measure the length and width of this area. The easiest way to do this is by measuring along each side of your deck until you reach the end, and then multiplying the two numbers. This gives the total square footage, which equals how much room there is available for the new hot tub or spa.
Choose the Right Hot Tub Size
In addition to considering the space, you should also consider how many people will use the tub at any given time. If you have limited space in your yard or porch but still want a luxury spa experience, a small hot tub might be best for you. If you’re looking for a large hot tub or spa, it may make sense to see what other areas could fit a hot tub:
- Small Hot Tubs – Dimensions of a small hot tub typically range from 5’4″ long x 4′ wide x 33″ tall for portable spas, and up to 7′ long x 6’4″ wide x 38½” tall for permanent models. As small hot tubs can comfortably fit 2-3 people, they fit well in compact places like under a deck or patio area with limited space.
- Medium Hot Tubs – Large hot tubs typically measure 7′ to 9′ long, 7′ to 9’2″ wide, and 33′ to 38½” tall, which make them perfect for fitting in most outdoor yard space. Comfortably fitting 4-5 people, this is the most popular hot tub size for homeowners.
- Large Hot Tubs – If you’re looking for something a little more luxurious, fitting 6+ people, a large or extra-large hot tub is the way to go. These hot tubs measure up to 11″ long and 11″ wide.
Make Your Space “Just Right”
The next step is to make your space “just right” for the hot tub. This means taking into account the following:
- Surface – Make sure the space you choose is flat, with close access to water and the correct electrical supply.
- Weight – Hot tubs are heavy and require a sturdy foundation. Make sure your hot tub placement can support its weight.
- Delivery – Consider mapping out the route the hot tub will take when it comes time for delivery. It may be necessary to move furniture or create a path that provides enough space for hot tub installers to navigate without damaging your property.
Now that you’ve got a basic understanding of what to look for in a hot tub and how to choose the right size, it’s time to get out there and start shopping! Hot tubs come in many different shapes and sizes, so there will be one that fits your needs perfectly. Blockco Pools has an excellent selection of hot tubs available for purchase online and in-store. Out expert team is ready to walk you through your questions, from heating systems to accessories for your spa. We can even help you install your new hot tub if need be!